Like & Share via FB

Thursday, September 10, 2020

What do I think of All Elite Wrestling?

[VIDEO] Honestly I've only see All Elite Wrestling on TNT a handful of times. I got some catching up to do on that program.

I had the chance to view the most recent edition the main event is Dustin Rhodes taking on Brodie Lee for the TNT TV title in a losing effort and sorry for the spoiler. It was a different show than of course any programming from WWE.

I like the interviews they do during the course of their two hour broadcast. Wednesday night they interviewed separately the former AEW tag team champs of Cowboy Adam Page and Kenny Omega by Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross respectively. Of course the interviews will go according to whatever angle their running at any given time. It's one feature that is different from WWE and something that's missing on all their brands from Raw to SmackDown to even NXT.

The production of the program seems very high definition and the character work is outstanding. One edition I saw in the last few months showed the legendary Tully Blanchard yelling at Tye Dillinger errr I mean Shawn Spears trying to get him fired up as his manager. Although at this moment I have no idea where Spears is going as a character and I see Tully has taken on new clients the new AEW tag team champs which changed at the recent All Out PPV the Revival.....errrr I mean FTR.

Perhaps what holds me back is the so-called Wednesday nite wars between AEW and NXT from WWE. I will admit to being a WWE mark and spend most of my Wednesdays watching NXT. However in light of some sports programming which has shifted NXT - hopefully temporarily - to Tuesday nights while USA Network airs the long pandemic delayed 2020 NHL playoffs.

Another thing about AEW is I'm trying to decide their styles. WWE is about sports entertainment. The old WCW in the early days was more or less southern style wrestling. ECW was more hardcore in their presentation. AEW seems to be going for more edge in their programming however there isn't a hook that causes me to want to tune into their programming.

So the video you see above is one woman's opinion on AEW and why she no longer watches Dynamite. And she started off with how she hates the direction of the women's division for example. I'm going to guess it'll take some time before AEW goes in a direction where fans will pay attention to them.

When you think about it, it took time for WCW to become a solid competitor to the World Wrestling Federation in the 1990s. It also took time for ECW to gain enough traction to be brought up in the same sentence with WWE or WCW in the 1990s. Perhaps it'll take the same amount of time for All Elite Wrestling.

They were off to a great start close to a year ago, it's hard to say they're in a much better position compared to WWE a year later.