Like & Share via FB

Saturday, June 17, 2023

Chato discusses #StrangeNewWorlds

 

[VIDEO] This is where entertainment and real life political discourse seems to converge. Longtime Trekkies seem to complain about "Woke Trek". Chato who is a former network TV producer talks about some of the woke themes in Trek.

Such concepts as emasculation, dismissing white males, no recognition of ethnicity, though recognizing putting forward people of different races, even throwing in the idea of sexual orientation. While in my mind Nurse Chapel didn't explicitly say it in season 1 of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds she seemed to insinuate that she has bisexual tendencies even as it seems she's very interested in Spock.

And I can't believe Chato is stating that the writers are choosing to emasculate him as his character is very iconic. And I dare as iconic as Uhura as the season premiere plays tribute to the departed Nichelle Nichols.

Of course what is Chato actually making an issue of? The writing. Perhaps it just hasn't been that great. Perhaps the writers are using lazy writing to make something people want to watch on streaming. And perhaps the writers are paying attention to ESG scores. UGH, really I have to be subject to that in watching my favorite entertainment franchise because they get more points for environment, social or governance. 

I could read that as adhere to this or life will be very difficult for you! 

Anyway, I'm glad to see these characters back again. I think I could live without the most recent episode. Uhura I will admire her ability to take control of her station though the other man had a job to do. It wasn't necessary. I'm still trying to figure out what a Lanthanite is and as comical as Carol Kane's performance is it felt a bit out of place.

As I wrote my comments on Twitter on Thursday I got some jokey responses, though surely as season two commences we will find out exactly what a Lanthanite is.