Like & Share via FB

Saturday, August 4, 2012

I long for the return of Marshall Field's

The former Chicago department store has essentially been defunct since 2006. I have shopped there many times since it went defunct, even bought some Frango candy from there recently. Still I have come to one conclusion fairly recently, I'm still not feeling Macy's.

I used to keep track of this website http://www.fieldsfanschicago.org/ that is promoting a boycott of Macy's in hopes that this will force a return of the Marshall Field's name. In recent years it looks like Macy's will stay the course and seemingly there may not be so much outcry for a return of that erstwhile name. Still I'm of that age where I remember the green bags my mother would bring home after shopping there.

While I can accept that Field's is never coming back, I don't view Macy's as a viable alternative.  I do browse there every once in a while even though I rarely buy anything. Before the conversion to Macy's, Field's had stopped carrying some products such as Tommy Hilfiger. That was probably enough to keep me away and Macy's brought them back.

Field's as a name has disappeared from the Chicago landscape for close to 6 years and still if I go to any stores of the former chain wherever they are my first instinct is to call them Field's. Perhaps it still my way of rejecting Macy's. As it seems in a survey from the Field's Fans website there are others who feel the same way.

Well if you're looking for a simple explanation, I simply can't easily provide one. Perhaps I've seen the tail end of a great institution and I've seen what Macy's has brought to Chicago with them. I would personally like to see a return to the green shopping bags and the name and hopefully products that fit the Field's name. Also Field's is something that is distinctively Chicago perhaps tourist need a place or two to visit when they're in town and be sure to bring something back that show's that they've been around town.